Beatrice S. Mikulecky and Linda Jeffries
Using a process approach to reading, this four-level series provides strategies and practice for strengthening comprehension skills, building vocabulary and test preparation. Its innovative design allows students to use four key sections concurrently to become better readers in school, college, or business.
At each level, students focus on the following skill areas:
- Reading for Pleasure encourages students to master new reading strategies and broaden their vocabulary.
- Comprehension Skills emphasizes strategic reading skills, such as skimming, scanning, and recognizing topics and main ideas.
- Thinking Skills provides targeted practice in inference and analytical skills.
- Reading Faster features high-interest, nonfiction selections that help students build speed and flexibility in their reading.
- Extensive reading helps students to build reading fluency, increase comprehension, and broaden vocabulary.
- Vocabulary building trains students in a variety of strategies for learning new words, from personalized vocabulary lists to noticing collocations.